Yesterday Brian and I had the horrible task of putting Smokey to sleep. Many people were not aware we had a cat, since we mostly talk about the dog. I thought that with that, I would write a little obituary/life history of Smokey, our cat.
Smokey came to us 4 months after we got married and weeks after we moved to the Saratoga House. I had heard there was a pet adoption fair at a local pet store. I convinced Brian we should go and get a cat. He agreed on the condition that we got a smoosh face persian like my sister's. I agreed and we were off and hunting. We looked at 100's of cats but couldn't find the right one. Brian then spotted a polaroid picture of a grey smooshy cat. We asked the agency if we could see him. They stated that he was rescued (the agency was best friend's animal sancutary) and that he would only be brought if we were truly interested. We signed the papers, without even meeting him. The next day we drove back and picked him up. He had been shaved and had a few stitches from that, but over all was in good shape. He fit in immediately. That was 7 1/2 years ago.
In those past years we have laughed at his funny sounds and antics. He loved to drink out of the bathroom sink, he hated the dog. He would meow back to you if you meowed to him. He hated the act of being shaved but loved the after math. He was always up for play time with a string. He climbed anything and everything he could. He knew where the treats were and would come running if you shook the can. On cold nights he would climb under the covers. For being a 6 lb thing he made a lot of noise and you knew when he came in the room.
He is an irreplaceable part of our family and we will forever remember and miss him.
For those of you wondering, he ate something funny and while it was going through his intestines it ripped a hole in them. There was nothing they could do. Our last moments with him he was purring while curled up in Brian's arm.
We miss you and LOVE YOU SMOKEY!!!!
1 comment:
My plant is still stunted from him enjoying his salad bar. And I will get you the pictures of him climbing into the window above the door.
You're right, we will miss him. His squeaks, his curly whiskers, his big eyes, and the tinkling of his tags when he drank. He will always be my little man.
Post a Comment