Brian left the house at 0630 on Friday to go on duty. He has not been home since. It is now 1900 on Monday. I have had four 5 minute conversations with him in that time. And seen him for one minute while dropping off Ross clothes to him yesterday as he ran to the engine to go on another call. I just got the call he is running late and will be home later.
The basics are... I have not spent any real time with my husband since Thursday night. It is times like this that make me wonder if I am going to make it through being a firefighter wife. It is also times like this that make me less tolerant of people wanting Brian's time. I am not very good at sharing him after a stretch like this, and I imagine I will only become more protective of his time once he is a dad.
My worry is with the new schedule times like this will be frequent. It is easily foreseen that he will leave the house and not return for another 60 hours. That is three days of no husband or dad in our house. If we are lucky he will be home in time to put Baby Mac to bed on the third day.
I know this is what we signed up for, and I know this is what we have worked for. I also know that we will make it through this. It is just hard at the moment it is happening to remember that.
I guess I can always call 911 and get him home that way!!!
Update - Brian came home at 2000 Monday night, I sat and watched him eat his dinner (i have to eat earlier due to heartburn), talked to him while he painted the nursery and then slept in the same bed as him. He is now back at work until tomorrow night. YIPPPEEE for 10 hours with my husband.
2 comments:
I realize I am no substitute for Brian, but if you get lonely or if you need a little break from being a single mom, you know I'm here. You'll do great. You've always been the one who adapts.
I'm sorry. That's tough. Call me if you ever need anything.
Post a Comment