Friday, September 17, 2010

My mommy soap box


All of my friends, who are moms, have a "soap box". Some are about immunizations, breast feeding, child care, shopping stores. You name it and there is a mom out there willing to share her feelings on a certain topic she feels strongly about. I have found mine.
Cloth Diapers - Brian and I have choosen to use cloth. My reaction was the same as many of yours at first...are you crazy. But I researched and found that cloth diapers are leaps and bounds better than those pinned to me 32 years ago. (I still have the scar, thanks dad)
Part of my research was to order a sample of several different kinds. We choose one size, pocket insert diapers. The brand happens to be Fuzzi Bunz, but there are others out there. The Diaper is the absorbant lining and outer shell together with snaps. the lining has a pocket in it that you put in one(or multiple) absorbent insert. Snap them on, snap them off and throw in a pail. I wash every other day and no stink, no mess, the inserts fall out in the wash on their own so no touching yucky things. The one size opiton has adjustable elastics in the waist and legs to fit from 7 to 35 pounds.
Here is my soap box now. Aidan had not had diaper rash since changing over. He cries when wet or messy a lot sooner, this plays a part when potty training since they feel being wet. No money has gone to diapers in over a month (they are an investment at first). I feel like I am doing my part to save the planet. And the colors are way cuter than plain old white.
Cloth is not for everyone, but anyone who asks my comment will be..."Cloth are not as horrible as you hear. I love them and so does Aidan and his bumb."

3 comments:

Julie said...

awww. too cute.

the Dancer said...

My cousin loved her cloth diapers. She has used cloth with all 4 of her kiddos (including twins). Good for you and Aidan! (Avoiding diaper rash is the best thing ever!!)

Manessa said...

Patch and I have used cloth diapers with all 3 of our babies. We love them. Right now, we are about 50/50 between cloth and disposables. We need to get some new cloth and I've been researching. Thanks for the endorsement of FuzziBunz :)