Friday, July 23, 2010

life since week 27


If you know what this picture is of you know where I am going, if not it is a glucometer. Why do I need one of those? Because at 27 weeks pregnant (the week before memorial day) I was diagnosed Gestational Diabetic. I can say I have diabetes. Luckily mine will go away after the palcenta leaves my body.

For 10 weeks I have stuck myself 4 times a day to test, I have counted carbs, gone for twice weekly apppointments, I have to take an insulin production pill before bed, and I have only gained 1 pound since my diagnosis.

I cried and fretted when I first found out...why me and why does my placenta hate me!! But I am ok with it now. It has forced Brian and I to make life changes to accomodate this, but the changes will continue after since they have helped in other ways. I get to see my little guy every week when they do the ultrasounds. I will not be allowed to go over my due date, if he isn't here by then they will induce on the 14th. Both baby and I are being monitored closely. And all tests show that both he and I are fine.

Brian has been a huge support and help with all of this. He doesn't want to know low or high, he wants a number (since he knows what they mean). He makes sure I eat, I eat properly, and test when needed. He makes sure I have water with me at all times. I couldn't ask for a better partner in this.

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Sounds like you are the ideal patient! Why can't more people be like you??