This week was the 14th. What does that mean? That only 4 short months until the due date of Mini Mac. With that realization came the stress and panic of being parents. Brian handles this much better than I do. But after a long and tearful conversation with Brian it was decided that the parental rules we have in mind be known to the world so there are no suprises when Mini Mac arrives. (the tears were from me, not Brian) Please dont take these personal. These are just things that we have decided will make our family happy and harmonious. Please remember Brian and I are the parents. Any advice is welcome, but we have the final say in how our family runs.
Baby name - we do not have ONE in mind. Our plan is to spend time with him first and name him then. A name we like today will not nessecarily be the name he is given.
Labor and Delivery - Just Brian and I will be there. There will be NO phone calls saying I am in labor, or any other such info. If it ends up being scheduled only Brian and I will know that. Than it is a suprise to everyone anyway.
Birth - our plan is to make the announcement when we are ready for visitors. This may be several hours after the birth. Don't think we forgot you, we just want time to bond with OUR baby as parents.
Visiting - this is where most of my heartburn comes from. We have a lot of family and friends who are very excited for Mini mac to be here. We are overwhelmed with the excitement. This makes it very hard on Brian and I. The hospital only allows 2 visitors at a time. So what we are asking is if you plan to visit us please call one of the cell phones before you come. This will ensure that no one gets cut short on a visit or waits in the lobby for long periods of time. The same request goes for when we get home. Please call before hand. To make sure that we are there, there in no one else visiting and that it is not nap time for the family. Also I do not answer the door if I am not expecting anyone. This is a safety net I have set up for me since I am home alone. This will continue to be my practice even if you can hear Mini Mac screaming on the inside. After reading and talking to many people, we have decided on starting a bedtime routine from day 1. This will include no visitors after 8pm. After 8 will be mac clan family/bed time.
Future holidays - Again we we have a lot of family and friends who love us and want to see us. We don't want holidays/birthdays/big events to end up be dreaded days in our family life. What Brian and I have discussed is on the day of the event we will only be going two places...home and the fire station (if Brian is working). Anyone is free to come and visit these days, but we will be going no where. This year Brian works Christmas. So that morning I will be at the station and then I will be home in the afternoon and evening. Along with this is the blessing. We want to keep it small. Parents, siblings and required church officals. That is it.
Information - Brian and I are fairly private people. We discuss amongst oursleves and share the information that we feel needs to be shared. This is not meant leave anyone out of the loop. It is simply we are adults, we act that way and expect to be treated that way.
Please don't take any of the personal and get offended. We are just trying to the bst we can and this is the way we feel we can achieve this. Remember our schedule is not 9-5 M-F so some of the things we do may seem odd, but it is what we think will work best for us.
3 comments:
As long as you make sure Murray isn't alone for too long during delivery, I'm fine waiting. I have his whole life to see him. After all, you're the one who will have had him growing inside you for the better part of a year. You're his stewards, you need to bond with the little guy first.
Having family time is a good idea. You'll be tired no matter what and those first few hours/days are precious! (You're better than I am, I had a baby in Germany and no one was there.) We're with you on the name thing, did the same with Jeffrey.
I wish I would have done this post before my kids were born!!!! Good job christina! Enjoy that little babe and your new family. Congrats!
Post a Comment