Sunday, November 22, 2009

how we do it

I got asked today a questoin I have been asked a million times. How do I do it being a firefighters wife. After reading a book by another FF wife this is what I have come to know.

I have watched my husband salute 4 caskets of his Firefighter Friends.
I have watched my husband go into burning structures when others are running away.
I have watched my husband question himself and his actions after not being able to save an 8 year old.
I have watched my husband tear up whlie watching 9/11 footage knowing that the beeping sound heard from the rubble is the motion alarms on FF's air packs.
I have watched my husband respond to car accidents on I-15. Helping the victims while others speed feet away from him at 80 miles an hour.
I have watched my husband load pliers into his pockets so he doesn't get stuck again in a fire by the wires hanging from the ceiling.

But I have also watched my husband beg to go back to work after being on medical leave for only a week.
I have watched my husband happily tell about the woman who was flat line and 5 minutes later after CPR wanted to continue dancing and not go to the hospital.
I have watched my husband experience the brotherhood of the fire service. Dropping anything to go help one of them, and them doing the same.
I have watched the holidays be just as happy at the station as they would have been with family.
I have watched my husband be loved and admired by the senior guys.
I have watched my husband return home with the biggest smile on his face, and happier than ever.
I have watched my husband find the place he finally belongs.
I have watched my husband come home!!!

Yes I am very aware of what Brian does and the sacrifices we both make. But all that matters to me is he thinks he has the best job in the world. And I think that my job as a firefighter wife is the best one, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just made me cry. Whether at the station or at a house, you two are always with family for the holidays.

Julie said...

very sweet post.

the Dancer said...

Good Post! Not quite the same for us but Amen Sister!

talonandanna said...

enjoyed reading this. you're awesome girl!